To continue our popular Question and Answer blog series we have two brand new interviews to share from the people here at Norwich Business School. Ratula Chakraborty is a Senior Lecturer in Business Management, previously working in the Education sector as Director of MSc Management Programmes at Loughborough University and International Operations Manager at the University of Derby. She also has extensive commercial experience through setting up and running her own export company in India, before moving to the UK to gain an MBA, and then joining a UK herbal care company as Commercial Director.
1. When are you happiest?
I am happiest when I spend quality time with my family.
2. What is your earliest memory?
Walking hand in hand with my father over the mountains and hills of where I grew up in the Himalayan ranges.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
5 .What was your most embarrassing moment?
At a dinner – I was talking about how I hate and abhor rip-off brands such as Louis Vuitton, not realising that the very well dressed lady beside me…had Louis Vuitton bracelets, Gucci handbag and the rest… She just sat with her jaw wide open whilst everybody else at the table sat with a glint and a twinkle in their eye. Imagine the picture!
6. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
I like everything about my appearance, God has been very generous!
7. What would be your fancy dress costume of choice?
8. What is your favourite smell?
Fresh coffee and freshly baked bread, yum!
9. Which words do you most overuse?
10. What is your favourite book?
There are so so many….’The Idiot’ by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, ‘Anna Karenina’ by Leo Tolstoy, ‘Germinal’ by Emile Zola….and several others by these three authors have always been close to my heart.
11. What is your guiltiest pleasure?
No guilty pleasures…except perhaps wanting to lie under the shade of leafy trees in a beautiful meadow, reading or simply staring around at the beauty of nature – when perhaps I should be thinking about work!!
12. What does love feel like?
Love feels like life!
13. What song would you like played at your funeral?
What funeral?! Who is thinking about that…life is for living and enjoying each moment.
14. How would you like to be remembered?
As somebody honest, kind, generous and caring.
15. What is the most important lesson life has taught you?